Remedial massage is the mobilisation and manipulation of the soft tissue of the body to include muscles, ligaments and tendons. It is a deep tissue technique that works for the whole body to improve health and wellbeing and not just the area being treated by:
• Promoting circulation
• Increasing the lymphatic flow to and from the area being treated reducing pain, swelling and inflammation
• Improving joint range of movement
• Increasing blood supply to an area
• Alleviating pain and discomfort in tight soft tissues
• Speeding up recovery from soft tissue injury and promoting the body’s natural healing ability
• Alleviating stress related muscular tension and general aches and pains
• Improving general well being and promoting relaxation through the release of “feel good” hormones called Endorphins
• Chartered Physiotherapists implement a wide variety of soft tissue mobilisations to correct the body’s structure, ease restrictions in movement and restore circulation, enabling the body to function efficiently, minimising further damage.
Remedial massage can be effective in the treatment of an extensive range of injuries and illnesses to include;
• Sports injury
• Muscle strains
• Muscular tension
• Post exercise
• Circulation problems
• Neck and back pain
• Whiplash injuries
• Nervous exhaustion
Sports massage can be used in the treatment of specific injuries, such as hamstring strains, or to correct muscle imbalances, overuse and postural issues. It is these factors which must be assessed and treated to reduce the risk of further injury and improve the efficiency of muscles thus enhancing sports performance.
If you are involved in sport at an amateur or professional level, a sports massage can be beneficial throughout the stages of participation to include the conditioning & training phase, prior to competition and post competition. Furthermore it can be effectively used in injury prevention and throughout the course of recovery from injury.
Regardless of your level of participation and experience, whether you exercise socially or compete to an international level, sports massage offers all the benefits of a remedial massage, tailored to your specific activity and sporting aspirations.